Rich and Connie Wills
History of The Glenns Ferry Theatre
by Connie Wills
The Gorby Opera House was built in 1914, originally for vaudeville stage acts, and served the community of Glenns Ferry for many years. Fireman’s dances, railroads events, and bazaars all took place in the building. Because a mortuary was next door the main hall was used for funerals. In later years silent movies with organ and piano accompaniment were popular.
With the effort of many community volunteers the Historic Opera Theatre reopened its doors June 4, 1994, for live stage productions. Many community and cultural events have taken place since the reopening (parties, reunions, dances, and receptions can be scheduled.)
Original hardwood floors, wood banisters, stairs, seats, and fans grace the building. A 100-year-old piano is a major point of interest. Many people feel the Opera Theatre has its own personality, heart, and soul, and have come to love the ‘grand old gal’ as if she were a person. She seems to have a magic and warmth when an attentive audience is within her walls. The reopening of the Historic Opera Theatre has brought back feelings of opportunity, unity, community, and plain good ol’ fashioned fun to Glenns Ferry and the surrounding area…
Welcome back, Ol’ Gal!
148 East Idaho Street
Glenns Ferry, Idaho 83623